Tuesday, December 19, 2006



Only the paranoid survive

I recently read an article about the rise of microsoft and it included a quote from an Intel (the chip guys) bigwig who said "Only the paranoid survive". On a number of levels, I can't say I disagree.

However, paranoia, improperly channeled and acted upon, can be a detriment (like anyone didn't know that). Here's an example.

A few minutes ago, I was typing something into notepad (yes, some of us web relics prefer notepad to other editing tools) and the scroll bar started going crazy. And by that I mean bouncing up and down. At the same time this was happening, my pc was beeping. My immediate reaction/conclusion: a virus had invaded my computer! What was I to do? I had several documents sitting on my desktop that had not been backed up since the prior day (this is how paranoid I am---I backup every day). What if I lost the most recent edits on those documents!

So, since I was sure the sky was falling and my computer would be eviscerated by some worm and I would lose several hours of work--->I used my computer's system restore. I picked an arbitrary date, three days prior, well before the beeping sounds and the bouncing scroll bar. Then after my pc restored itself to three days ago, I realized the beeping sound was a warning that my wireless mouse batteries were running down. And since the restore function "restores" directory structures, some of the things I'd done in the last couple of days got "undone".

So, the moral of the story is...a beeping computer doesn't always mean the sky is falling. Sometimes it just means your batteries are running low.



Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

If you already receive social security disability or ssi benefits, can you work ?
How many social security disability and ssi claimants do not file an appeal ?
Social Security Disability SSI and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome