Friday, May 16, 2008



Department of Veterans Affairs Attempts to Discourage PTSD Cases

It's a suspicion of many disability claimants, and even individuals who work inside the social security disability system, that the social security administration unfairly denies individuals who apply for disability, even to the extent of looking for ways to overturn decisions (made by disability examiners) that started out as approvals.

This type of thing occurs when cases are reviewed by quality control units after a case has been closed by a disability examiner. Strangely enough (I say this facetiously), the great majority of decisions that are reversed by "quality control units" are approvals. Not very often do you see a case that was denied by an examiner reversed and turned into an approval.

Why does this happen? We can only speculate. But, obviously, if you pay out on fewer claims you (the federal government) save more money.

Now, this week ,it has come to light that individuals working within the Department of Veterans Affairs seem to have a similar attitude of discouragement. At a veterans medical facility in Texas, staff members were told to find ways to avoid diagnosing PTSD, or post traumatic stress disorder.

This is really incredible news, but, sadly, not unexpected. The current administration has no problem with sending troops to war. But when it comes to properly taking care of those who have been injured and severely affected by it (depression, PTSD, amputations, traumatic brain injury due to extreme concussive force explosions), they surely come up short.

Here's the article from the Washingon Post: Official Urged Fewer Diagnoses of PTSD





Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog



Other Posts

Social Security Disability List of Impairments
Social Security Disability SSI Status
What does Social Security Disability consider a Mental Impairment?
How many people win Disability Benefits from Social Security?
Social Security Disability Requirements
Will I Qualify for Social Security Disability?
Qualifications for Disability - Social Security (work credits) and SSI
SSI Application for Disability Benefits
Filing for Disability with Fibromyalgia
Qualifying for Disability - How difficult are the Qualifications?
Application for Disability - SSD and SSI applications
Social Security Disability List of Impairments
Application Requirements For SSI Disability
Disability Requirements - The Criteria for Social Security Disability and SSI
How to Qualify for Disability - social security disability or SSI
Are there disability benefits for children?
Social Security Disability Eligibility
Who is eligible for Social Security Disability or SSI Disability?
Correct Steps for Filing a Social Security Disability Claim
Getting Disability - Social Security Disability and SSI
Tips for Filling out a Social Security Disability Application
How Does Social Security Decide Your Disability Claim ?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Michelle said...

Hey Tim,
Michelle here from Life in the Autoimmune Lane. I've been flaring like crazy so I let my blog just sit for the past few weeks (bad me) anyway, I just went through comment moderation and found your comment; and your site.
I think it's a great site. Thank you for posting such valuable info for the people :)
I'd like to put your site in my blogroll if you don't mind.
Take care and be well,
Michelle

2:39 PM  
Blogger Disability Blogger said...

Thanks Michelle, for the comments and for stopping by. I've already put you on my blogroll.

Tim

8:25 PM  
Blogger girlylover said...

I have a question you might be able to help me with.. I was denied my PTSD service connection and my doctors have since appealed it with proof of issues, I just went through another c&b with the va and waiting on the answer from that. if they do service connect my PTSD will i get my back pay or will i jsut start getting the PTSD pay monthly from when i appealed the denial? any help will be good thanks..

8:32 PM  
Blogger Disability Blogger said...

I wish I could help with that. I was a disability examiner for SSA and I don't know much about the VA system.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home