Friday, June 13, 2008



Question about SSI Back Pay after being Approved

A previous commenter asked a question about her back pay. She stated the following: "I was fully approved for my ssi case i was wondering when my back pay was suppose to start,i already spoke with my case worker over the phone for my interview,to start my paperwork ive already received my copies back in the mail,is this when i can be looking for my backpay,as well as my check on the first also.do they pay you a lump sum or installments for SSI,how does this work. HELP!"

As always, I'd like to point out that it's best to get an answer regarding payments from the social security office that's actually handling your case, because there may be specific variables or issues involved in your case that might have a significant impact on the answer.

However, here is a general answer to the question as it was stated:

If an individual is not entitled to receive SSI benefits once they become entitled to Title II benefits, the entire SSI back payment is released to them when their SSI claim is processed.

However, if an individual is SSI only, or entitled to both programs, the rules are different. SSI back pay is paid in installments. The individual will receive an installment of that which is equal to three months of maximum SSI benefits (you can see that this amount may increase as the SSI maximum benefit increases), when their claim is processed. Beneficiaries are issued another three months worth of benefits at the six month mark. When they reach the one year mark they receive all monies owed to them; and they have nine months to spend the money down to below the resource limit.





Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog





Prior Posts

Social Security Disability, Chronic Liver Disease and digestive disorders
Social Security Disability and letters from SSA
Why do Social Security Disability claims take so long ?
Requested a Disability Hearing - Now what?
Do I need a lawyer to get disability benefits from Social Security?
Social Security Disability Denied in California