Monday, March 16, 2009



New Implant Studied for Chronic Migraine Treatment

A new medical implant that stimulates the occipital nerve has shown promise in the treatment of chronic migraines, according to Joel Saper, M.D., who spoke at the 2009 American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM) annual meeting.

Participants in the study, performed at Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute in Ann Arbor, had a battery-operated nerve stimulator implanted to see if it would alleviate pain caused by their migraines. The implant was placed in the stomach region, and electrical leads run along the spine, ending at the occipital nerve at the base of the skull.

Thirty-nine percent of the patients in the study found the stimulator blocked their migraine pain, and it is important to note that these were patients who had never experienced pain relief from the triptan drugs commonly used to treat this condition.

Nerve stimulation therapy has already been successfully used for treatment of other medical conditions, including back pain, epilepsy, and depression, so it seems likely that it will be proven effective in the treatment of migraine pain.

However, the Michigan study was small, and involved only 68 patients. More investigation will be necessary before the nerve stimulator device can be approved by the FDA. In addition, the device does have at least one reported potential drawback—the electrical leads can migrate. In some participants the leads moved around and actually made migraine pain worse.

Also, this is no simple surgery, and anyone who would opt for having a medical implant that involves wire leads being placed along the spine should do so only after exhausting other less invasive options. Of course, no one understands the truly debilitating effects of chronic pain better than those who live with it day-to-day. As the technology surrounding nerve stimulator implants improves, it could offer a real solution to the blinding pain that migraine patients must cope with on a regular basis.



Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

Does Depression Make Your Head Ache?
Migraines Social Security Disability SSI - Applying for Disability
Can you get Disability if you are unemployable?
Calling about your Social Security Disability Claim (can prevent problems)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

Then when you get on SSDI it gets even worse. The Washington State Patrol goes to your house and pretends to be investigating mail fraud. They ask your neighbors if you look disabled and they may accuse you of fraud and cut you off.

If you have a mental disability and try to hide it due to stigma you will be more vulnerable to this.


That is what they did to me in spite of my having 24 years of medical records of my disability.

I won in the end and still have my SSDI. But this "investigation" caused my illness to flare up and I have lost another year of my life. No I am constantly afraid of being followed by the Seattle CDIU office. I know it will be three years before my next "review" but my mental health has been so damaged that I may be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my miserable impoverished life.

I took 2 years for me to get SSDI in the first place.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Watch out for the Seattle CDIU they are the number one CDIU in the nation for getting disabled people cut off of their hard earned SSI and SSDI

I had been on disability for awhile and had already had 2 CDR's but this last one was different.

http://www.voanews.com/Khmer/archive/2006-12/2006-12-07-voa3.cfm

During your CDR. The Washington State Patrol goes to your house and pretends to be investigating mail fraud. They ask your neighbors if you look disabled and they may accuse you of fraud and cut you off.

My lawyer said they also follow people in their cars.

If you have a mental disability and try to hide it due to stigma you will be more vulnerable to this.


That is what they did to me in spite of my having 24 years of medical records of my disability.
I spent two years living in Seattle Children's Home Mcgraw Center!


they sent my termination notice two months late and cut off my medicare on my birthday. It took 4 months to get my bennies turned back on pending appeal. If I did not have savinging I would have lost my home.

The cut me off in Spite of the SSA psychiatrist saying I was disabled! I wonder if they seek out people with mental health issues because they are so easy to victimize.

I won in the end. In fact I won at the reconsideration level so you know I had a very strong case. But this "investigation" caused my illness to flare up and I have lost another year of my life.

The flare up that this caused in my illness caused me to have a major medical accident and then I had no medicare at first so that made it even worse. Finally Medicare paid retroactivly.

Now I am constantly afraid of being followed by the Seattle CDIU office. I know it will be three years before my next "review" but my mental health has been so damaged that I may be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my miserable impoverished life.

Paranoia was already part of my diagnosis. This happening to me has sent my paranoia into overdrive.

I took 2 years for me to get SSDI in the first place.

The Salem office is number 2 at cutting people off.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home