Monday, August 17, 2009

A Social Security Disability Check situation

A few days ago, Fishbowl left a question as a comment on another post. Here's a second related question, to which the response follows immediately after.

Thank you for your time……I will give more details…because I am very concerned and not sure what will happen. It is SS that said I used 5 of my trial work months in 2005, I do not think that is the case, but do not have the records to prove anything. Being that said…..I would have 4 trial months left. I used them in 2006. That mean I have 3 moths that I went over the SGA…Yes I stand corrected. In December of 2006 I grossed 1072.71 however 500 dollars of that was a Xmas bonus. So that would reduce the money I actually worked for to 572.71. So that should not count, I would think. I asked the lady at SS and she did not know. I did not work but a couple of months in 2008. I got fired from one job in 2005 during a work attempted. I could not keep up with the demands. Whenever they decide what they are going to do…will I not get a check period for 3 whole months…or can I call them and ask them to hold out a 100 bucks or something until I pay it all back. I receive approximately 1200 a month…so if I made for example $900 in 2006. The SGA was 860. Does that mean I have to pay back the whole month? Will they let me make them payments before they cut me off totally? I am worried…I will lose my car, everything if that happens. I am wondering if I can make some kind of payment arrangements or if my checks will just stop for the 3 months I owe them. What do you think and do you have any
suggestions? I appreciate your time and advice more than I know how to put in words! Thank you bunches!


I am not sure about the month that you received a cash bonus either, but I believe it counts as a month that you earned over SGA (substantial gainful activity). It still is not clear that you have actually used your trial work months, if you have I really do not think you have anything to worry about.

Once you enter into your extended period of eligibility (EPE), you are not entitled to a benefit check any month that you earn over the SGA limit. However, let's say, for example, that you worked two months over SGA, but you had to stop working because of your disabling condition, it is possible that those months could be considered an unsuccessful work attempt. If you have an unsuccessful work attempt those wages are not considered to be SGA; consequently you would be entitled to benefits for those months.

There is always the chance that you may truly be overpaid because of your work activity. If that is the case, you will receive an overpayment notice. Once you have received your overpayment amount, you can make a repayment arrangement with Social Security. As I said in my earlier response, Social Security is very flexible with repayment arrangements. Most often repayment of an overpayment involves a small deduction from your monthly disability check. Generally, Social Security does not withhold an individual's entire disability benefit unless they have no response to several overpayments notices. Even then, they send a letter stating when they plan on to begin withholding in the hope that a repayment arrangement will be made.

In reading both of your posts, I feel that if you do in fact owe any money to Social Security it is most likely a small amount. You have no need to be extremely worried as I am sure that you will be able to make a payment arrangement that would is suitable to both you and Social Security.

Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog

Other Posts

Anxiety and Panic before a Social Security Disability Medical Exam
Social Security Disability and Medicaid for Disabled Adults
Social Security Disability Income - SSDI
OCD Social Security Disability SSI - Applying for Disability
Hearings for social security disability - how do you file for a hearing
Social Security Disability Psychological Exam
Appealing a Denied Disability Claim
What are the chances of winning at a disability hearing?

Labels: , , , ,


Blogger 4kidheros said...

I have a question but did not see a place to ask? I have an autistic child who is 14 y/o he just began receiving SSI the last year that I have not worked due to dealing with issues that have to do with my child. Now that my childs situation is better I was getting ready to jump back into the work force. Well it turns out that my 4 y/o may also be autistic. He is having several issues and I would like to know if while I settle this 2nd child in to therapies and such would he qualify for additional SSI? I really want to head back to work but I want to make sure my boys are taken care of financially while I can get back to work. Thanks!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Disability Blogger said...

Hi, I addressed your comments here: Social Security Disability SSI - Working Parent, Autistic Child

7:55 PM  
Blogger XZillR8 said...

Hi, I just sent you a question but forgot to ask one more. If my husband gets a disability check, will other members of the family (i.e. spouse, dependents) get one too? If so, is that automatically determined by SSA or does that have to be requested by us?

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home